Quality assurance is the application of planned, systematic, quality activities to ensure that the project will employ all processes needed to meet requirements.
The Quality management plan (QMP) is part of Quality assurance. The purpose of the QMP is to ensure the quality of the project’s deliverables and final project outcome. The plan must be continuously reviewed according to needs.
Quality management activities
The Quality management plan consists of two main activity types:
- Quality assurance (QA) activities – i.e. proactive activities with the goal of ensuring that reasonable and realistic plans are made by the project, and of building quality into project processes and deliverables.
- Quality control (QC) activities – i.e. activities with the goal of monitoring specific project deliverables or project processes to determine whether they comply with relevant quality standards (i.e. requirements) and identifying ways to eliminate causes of unsatisfactory performance
Within these two main activities there are sub activities related to:
- Project management – i.e. activities focusing on project technical matters such as mandates, project planning, project management, and project execution.
- Customer – i.e. activities focusing on user and customer related matters. Focus is on the use of the solution, e.g. usability, functionality, etc
- Product – i.e. activities focusing on technical matters. Focus is on the technical solution.
Quality management roles
|Steering committee (SC) – Decisive||Approve the Quality management plan|
Approve results from QC
Overrule the project manager in quality management matters, when there are enough reasons. E.g. demand QC activities and reject QC results.
Allocate the required quality management resources to the project (assumption: the line organization is represented in the steering committee).
(PM) – Advisory
|Develop the total Quality management plan containing both QA- and QC activities|
Get the Quality management plan approved by the steering committee
Organize and inform the quality management participants
Inform the project team and other stakeholders of the contents of the Quality management plan
Coordinate and execute both QA- and QC activities according to the Quality management plan
Assess the need for further proactive activities and QC activities based on the project performance
Approve completed proactive activities
Communicate results from proactive activities to the steering committee, the project team and other stakeholders
Communicate results from QC activities to the project team
Involve the relevant leading advisers when necessary.
|QC coordinator – Advisory||Receive all results from QC activities|
Communicate results from QC activities to the project manager
Coordinate the steering committee’s handling of QC issues and results
Advise the steering committee in QC issues and results
|QA responsible – Advisory||Develop and follow-up the Quality management plan on behalf of the project manager|
Undertake activities listed for the project manager
Participate in QA activities